It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:05 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: New one on me - Disposable rubber insulating gloves?????
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:27 pm 

I attended an electrical safety training session at a Federal Government facility last week. I was rather taken aback when the Safety Manger gave a presentation on rubber insulating gloves. She advised everyone that for "delicate" work, the qualified person can now buy "disposable rubber insulating gloves", "that are single use". I was auditing so could not discuss in plenary. I did ask where they were available and did not receive an answer. I asked if she actually meant the fabric inserts, she said no. I do not even understand why one would want them, nor what advantage they would be. As there is no Class below 00, I have no idea what they were talking about and there was no discussion of needing to wear leather protectors.....shudders!

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? Disposable, rubber insulating gloves????

Thank You,
VH Senior Safety Consultant

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: New one on me - Disposable rubber insulating gloves?????
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:58 am 
Plasma Level

VH wrote:
I attended an electrical safety training session at a Federal Government facility last week. I was rather taken aback when the Safety Manger gave a presentation on rubber insulating gloves. She advised everyone that for "delicate" work, the qualified person can now buy "disposable rubber insulating gloves", "that are single use". I was auditing so could not discuss in plenary. I did ask where they were available and did not receive an answer. I asked if she actually meant the fabric inserts, she said no. I do not even understand why one would want them, nor what advantage they would be. As there is no Class below 00, I have no idea what they were talking about and there was no discussion of needing to wear leather protectors.....shudders!

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? Disposable, rubber insulating gloves????

Thank You,
VH Senior Safety Consultant

To some degree I've heard of it. The cost of cleaning and testing 00 and sometimes 0 gloves is usually more than the cost of a new pair so it's less expensive to throw them away instead of cleaning and testing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:14 pm 

Thanks Paul. I have been getting rubber insulating gloves tested for a very long time. Currently at two accredited NAIL facilities I can get a pair tested for $3.50 at one facility and approximately $4.25 at another. I understand your take on "disposable" and thanks for the feedback.

VH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:01 am 
Plasma Level

My prices when I was buying 0 and 00 was closer to $20. I don't even bother buying 00 anymore and the price has dropped so buying and testing 0 (and 2) makes sense.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:08 am 
Sparks Level

Another take on gloves, the following applies to the majority of gloves reaching the market:

1. Gloves are almost impossible to get - CA dock strike.

2 There is almost no diff in cost between 00 and 0 gloves.

3. Gloves are closer to $50.

4. 0 gloves are one dip heavier, approx .005".

5. True dielectric glove testing is closer to $10 and many are paying $15.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:32 pm 

I think she is wrong because disposable rubber insulating gloves has no sense, If it really exist this gloves must meet the same requirements as a common rubber insulating glove (ASTM D120 or EN 60903). So i can┬┤t belive that a company pay for a rubber insulating glove that could be use in multiple times and throw them into the trash.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:05 pm 

EXACTLY mauricioville.

And I do get "true" electrical glove testing from one of two accredited NAIL facilities for the prices I quoted in an earlier post. Folks paying $10 to $15 per pair for glove testing may want to try other sources. I also am not spending over $35 per pair for new Class 00 or Class 0 Salisbury gloves that meet the ASTM D120 and all other applicable standards

Thanks all for the feedback. I shall file this one, with exactly what 'mauricioville' wrote.

Be well All.