It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:16 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Arc Flash Label Requirements
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:54 pm 

Hi,

I am trying to understand exactly what is required to be included on the arc flash label.

I understand the requirements per section 130.5(D).

I do not understand why all of the labels I have seen list an insulating glove class and a 'shock hazard when hinged covers removed (or enclosure doors are closed, hinged covers are open).'

It seems listing too much text on the label could lead to confusion. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Arc Flash Label Requirements
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:39 am 

I totally agree, we just redesigned our labels because of the recent changes in the 70E. This was a sore spot for me and I wanted all of what I call the junk off the label.
Here is what we came up with. According to the 70E we included the System Voltage, Arc Flash Boundary, and Incident Energy (we are doing our analysis at all of our stations so we can't put the HRC anymore). Because our old labels had the incident energy and the required level of PPE, there were some on the electrical safety team that wanted to list out the required clothing. But the 70E is specific in saying that we cannot have that if we are listing the IE. So we came up with this statement to keep our techs thinking about the correct PPE. "Appropriate level of AR rated clothing, Head and Neck protection, gloves, and Boots required to work on or operate this equipment." We added the 'Or operate this equipment" because as an electrical safety team we decided to make our operators wear the PPE if the IE is above 8cal/cm^2.
We are now training all of our personnel how to read the labels on the equipment and match that the rating of the PPE. We are still only buying 2 levels of PPE, 1 rated up to 12cal/cm^2, and the other up to 40cal/cm^2. But I think this is a much simpler approach.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:36 am 
Sparks Level

As a consulting engineer we work with many clients. We have had to educate our new and existing clients on the changes. We are in the process of standardizing our labels to meet the 2015 requirements and make it company policy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:19 am 

Hi All

Greetings from Canada. I totally agree with less is better on the detailed warning labels. I am seeing many labels up here with far too much info including PPE, glove class, etc. I had one client indicate to me that they do not want their workers to think! Just a list of prescribed PPE and the worker does not have to think, someone else has done it for them. Both 70E and Z462 are both focussing on risk assessment and we must start emphasizing that the worker needs to be part of the decision in selection of PPE based on some form of assessment of the equipment and conditions. Really like the suggestion below regarding the worker dressing to the incident energy level.

In-house training of course has to couple all of this. Labels are being installed however no one including the frot lien electrician seems to be able to read or interpret the information