It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:17 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: 40 cal./HRC 4 PPE
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:43 pm 

I am looking for opinions on full flash suits.I would appreciate opinions on "fan cooled" hoods for HRC 4 compliance.Does the fan impair the effectiveness of the hoods protection?They definitely are more comfortable.Also I would like opinions on the full length coat which of course is open at the bottom,the shins and boot uppers protected by spats.The coat is advantageous due to the ease of putting on and taking off but I have concerns after reading that a blast could be deflected by the floor up under the coat.Any input would be greatly appreciated. Eldon

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:21 pm 
Arc Level

Go with the Farmer John two piece suit. It lets you take off the jacket to cool down between tasks. The fan is a big help. I don't hesitate to use it. It mounts in the back so I don't see how it would reduce the integrity of the rating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:36 pm 
Plasma Level

Eldon wrote:
I am looking for opinions on full flash suits.I would appreciate opinions on "fan cooled" hoods for HRC 4 compliance.Does the fan impair the effectiveness of the hoods protection?They definitely are more comfortable.Also I would like opinions on the full length coat which of course is open at the bottom,the shins and boot uppers protected by spats.The coat is advantageous due to the ease of putting on and taking off but I have concerns after reading that a blast could be deflected by the floor up under the coat.Any input would be greatly appreciated. Eldon

No problem with the fans, but I have seen some "Bounce" arc testing and after those tests I would never wear a coat, go with the 2 peice suit, spend the extra $250 for the 4 layer stuff, much cooler and lighter, worth the $$.

What materials are you looking at? That makes a huge difference in comfort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:26 pm 

Currently I have a 42 cal. long coat,hood/fan and spats for the lower legs and top of boots.I am now concerned with the bounce arc flash you refer to with my long coat.It is made from outer layer of 7,5 oz. kevlar and the inner layer is 9 oz westex indura ultrasoft.This was made by AGO in London,Ontario.I haven't heard of the four layer system you speak of but comfort of any sort is way up on the list of priorities.What system/manufacturer is considered the best?
I greatly appreciate the input. Eldon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:54 am 
Plasma Level

Eldon wrote:
Currently I have a 42 cal. long coat,hood/fan and spats for the lower legs and top of boots.I am now concerned with the bounce arc flash you refer to with my long coat.It is made from outer layer of 7,5 oz. kevlar and the inner layer is 9 oz westex indura ultrasoft.This was made by AGO in London,Ontario.I haven't heard of the four layer system you speak of but comfort of any sort is way up on the list of priorities.What system/manufacturer is considered the best?
I greatly appreciate the input. Eldon

The AGO PBI Gold suits sre very good, but expensive. The 4 layer suit are fairly new and available from several different manufactures (Using Indura Ultra soft), Salisbury being one of them, the 4 layer suit all have "LT" at the end of the cat#. NSA makes a nice suit also using both Indura and Kevlar.

There is a ton of good info (Unbiased) on performance of the suits here http://www.arcwear.com, click on the "clothing resources " tab for a full list of providers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:41 am 
Sparks Level

Eldon:

The other problem that has not been mentioned with the lab coat style is that when you bend down to rack out a bottom cell breaker the velcro will open and expose your lower body.

As well the leggings are typically one size fit all and won't fit properly depending on the person.

I checked with the manufacturers and the lab coat style arc flash suit was only intended for work where you stand up.

Your movement is also restricted with this style, you walk like a penguin.

The fans on arc flash hoods are accepteable and should be your first choice, cooling, no O2 deprivation, no heat exhaustion. All that aside you shouldn't have the arc flash suit on for long periods of time, breaks should be scheduled between tasks. Racking in or out a breakers should only take minutes to complete, then take a break.

You can also using layering to achieve a Total System Arc Rating, we have an annex on this in CSA Z462. You could use an everyday wear uniform, shirt and pants and then layer over top with a coverall, both of the fabrics have to be from the same manufacturer and you have to get their ASTM 1959 test data in order to layer. I have this test data for several of the manufacturers, in fact you should ask for it to ensure the supplier is credible. If they don't have the ASTM 1959 test data available, don't buy their products.

Other manufacturers to consider for arc flash suits are Oberon, and Salisbury. Oberon's rep is Jim Pollard located in Hamilton. Oberon has extensive white papers on their website, I also have them located for free on my website, http://www.esps.ca. You can get a lot of the answers you are seeking from some of the white papers. Also check out http://www.electricallinemagazine.com for the Electrical Safety Measures supplement imbedded in the magaze, Jan-Feb, and July-August issues, last issue there was an article on long coat arc flash suits.

I am located in Calgary, just spent a week out in Ontario meeting with some companies and completing an Electrical Safety Audit at a major food processing facility.

Regards;
Terry Becker
http://www.esps.ca
terry.becker@espsi.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:55 pm 

Terry: I really appreciate your input.I have discovered shortcomings regarding
the lab style coat and leggings.Zog also raised a valid point of the "bounce flash" effect.A cement floor would have no trouble deflecting the blast up under the coat,most undesirable.I have for a few years had an Oberon 31 cal hood
(non-vented) and jacket/pants.More recently an AGO 42 cal long coat,leggings and vented hood.Our facility is in the process of suiting up all of our workers and I am attempting to glean as much information as possible to advise purchasing/managers.I have read your earlier posts regarding ASTM 1959 and I have passed this information on to our safety officer.
A large local vendor preparing to bid on the supply of this clothing curiously had all their garments rated only by HRC instead of calories.I have insisted on calorie ratings and now will be requiring manufacturer documents regarding ASTM 1959.
We are preparing prior to the risk analysis study to go with the two category clothing system of 8+ calorie rating and of 40-50 calorie rating.
I was confused by Annex M until I made the connection with ASTM 1959.
I appreciate your input,Terry,Zog and others. Eldon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:00 pm 

Zog, Terry very good job with your explanations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:05 am 

Eldon wrote:

I've got the 40Cal kits on sale for $749.99, Bulwark. You can find it at
http://www.bulwarkfrapparel.com

I know that American Safety has the cooling hoods:
http://www.americansafety.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:19 am 

Allison, you're not the only Sales Person who is a member on this Forum but you are the ONLY Sales Person who has quoted product and pricing.

I'm not speaking on everyone's behalf but I feel this is not the appropriate channel for marketing/advertising.

Oh, and FYI, you can buy complete Oberon HRC4 suits including hood ventilation systems for as low as $475 USD. So please keep your pricing to yourself, thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:48 am 

Jim Pollard wrote:
Allison, you're not the only Sales Person who is a member on this Forum but you are the ONLY Sales Person who has quoted product and pricing.

I'm not speaking on everyone's behalf but I feel this is not the appropriate channel for marketing/advertising.

Oh, and FYI, you can buy complete Oberon HRC4 suits including hood ventilation systems for as low as $475 USD. So please keep your pricing to yourself, thanks!

Wow Jim, very classy. I'll be sure to remove my post. Next time I would prefer a private message. I am aware I am not the only salesperson and also gave him the name of a competitor. Try to be a little more professional when addressing me next time. THANKS!