It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:52 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Respirator Use for COVID 19 and electrical work
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:26 pm 

We want to provide respirators to our workforce when responding to no power events on customer properties. Our concern is the potential of an arc/flash event when a person performs their work. We have arc rated face shields that fit over the respirators. Any studies we could cite to support this combination? My logic tells me if the faceshield protects my face, it should negate the hazard of the respirator potentially melting if a flash occurs. Any information to support this?
Lee Wallace, CSP
PSE&G NJ
201 407 6454

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Respirator Use for COVID 19 and electrical work
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:42 am 
Arc Level

My comment would be that you may be increasing the hazard. First, face shield only protects to its limit. If IE was miscalculated, could be more than expected. Why would you want to melt a big chunk of rubber on your face. Next, you really have infected persons (customers) standing within that close of a proximity to your work? Get them to a safe distance and keep them there. More, don't the electricians have enough gear getting in their way, you need to add more. Sounds like you would increase the risk of an accident, not reduce the risk of infection. My 2 cents.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:46 am 
Sparks Level

We published an article on this subject last week with data in support under these types of circumstances. Until there is a true arc rated respirator. These tests can give guidance.

https://www.e-hazard.com/blog/can-i-wea ... -exposure/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:19 pm 
Sparks Level

Hi Lee

Greetings form the North. You may want to look at each situation independantly and identify what is or what are the specific hazards. For example one of your workers may be in a facility or an environment that is very lightly populated or working on their own in which the spread of COVID 10 may not be an issue however they could be in harms way of a flash or electrical shock. Not sure if there is really one correct answer here Lee, as mentioned looking at each situation independantly and identifying what the hazards are including possible spread of the virus and dressing accordingly may be a consideration. Sort of a JSA or JHA

I hope that this helps

Be well

Len