It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:50 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Fused Leads for Multimeters
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:10 pm 

I have heard both sides of the argument as far as implementing either fused or unfused leads. My company is currently looking at creating a standard for all meters for work on 575v and below in our facility will need to use 1000 V Cat III meters and there is discussion on what should be spec'd for the leads.

What is everyone's beliefs/understanding of which is the safer item to have.

Obviously, the fused leads can protect a meter better than an unfused set, however if the electrician decides to forgo the "test on known voltage, test on desired equipment and then retest on known voltage"; which we all know does happen from time to time, the fused leads could present a much greater life threatening hazard.

I've heard different advise from different people within the same agencies/groups advocating each of the two. I don't know which to fight for and I'd appreciate any feedback.

Best regards.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:29 am 
Plasma Level

Dylan Wick wrote:
I have heard both sides of the argument as far as implementing either fused or unfused leads. My company is currently looking at creating a standard for all meters for work on 575v and below in our facility will need to use 1000 V Cat III meters and there is discussion on what should be spec'd for the leads.

What is everyone's beliefs/understanding of which is the safer item to have.

Obviously, the fused leads can protect a meter better than an unfused set, however if the electrician decides to forgo the "test on known voltage, test on desired equipment and then retest on known voltage"; which we all know does happen from time to time, the fused leads could present a much greater life threatening hazard.

I've heard different advise from different people within the same agencies/groups advocating each of the two. I don't know which to fight for and I'd appreciate any feedback.

Best regards.

The leads should be marked CATIII also, no reason for them to be fused when used with the CATIII meter they are designed to be used with.

Profile Send private message