It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:04 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Arc Rating of Rubber Gloves
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:23 pm 

NFPA 70E seems to imply that rubber gloves provide some form of arc protection. Does anyone know if there is a rating in Calories/cm associated with rubber gloves or if there is some glove that has an arc rating?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:12 pm 
Sparks Level

C Chord,

I don't think it is so much the rubber as it is the leather glove cover. Past that, I don't know of a rating for the leather. Keep in mind that the standards are designed to save the torso and head areas in an attempt to save a life. Injury is not avoided in all cases. The distances in the NESC are specifically stated to be to the body, not the arms or hands.

Alan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:24 am 
Plasma Level

I just saw a presentation by Salisbury this week at the Electrical Safety Workshop / Conference in Dallas. They have now tested rubber gloves and found the ratings are higher than I would expect. For example Class 0 gloves have a rating of 38 calories for black rubber and 7 calories for red. Class 2 is even higher with 94 calories for black and 34.6 for red. When you add leather protectors it goes up. Don't use these numbers I listed here for your study or compliance because they are from my notes. Contact Salisbury or other glove manufacturers to see what they have. Right now I understand that there is still not an "official" ATPV rating (arc thermal performance value) because there is not an official testing standard (yet) but they have done their own tests to arrive at these results :) .