It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:26 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: 70E Emergency Release -- demonstrate?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:43 am 
Plasma Level

70E now requires that workers demonstrate their ability to perform electrical tasks and not just talk about it or get classroom training on it.

So with emergency release, fortunate or not, I've never actually had to use this ever (fortunately). And it would only be a classroom exercise to talk through it or walk up to a breaker and shut it off. I can't really think of very many people I've met that have had to put their emergency release skills to the test. So how do we demonstrate compliance with this one?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: 70E Emergency Release -- demonstrate?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:03 pm 

I would think that a mock procedure based on a staged scenario would be the best way of demonstrating the skill.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:15 am 

Hi All

Greetings from North of the Border. I do not want to come across as conducting a commercial or advertising on Jim's forum. I am currently working on a short video on this subject in which I hope to have finalized by month's end. We have the same clause here with CSA Z462, where "Qualified Workers be trained on methods of Release". However ask the question to a room of tradespeople and you would be surprised with the responses. Not exactly something that anyone of us would want to experience, however if the situation ever presents itself at least we can assist without becoming the 2nd victim and initiate EMS. In addition I have a poster 11x17 size, showing "Methods of Release" and other information with regards to incident response and management. You can reach me off line - len@arcflash.ca Thankyou

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:34 pm 
Plasma Level

There is only one acceptable method under 70E...shut off the power.

But this is sort of like CPR, first aid, etc. If everything happened the way it's supposed to then we'd never be in that situation in the first place. Emergency release is like that...dealing with an already bad situation.