It is currently Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:33 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Arc Flash labels for UPS Battery and Disconnect Switch
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:59 pm 

I have come across an issue with question about Arc Flash Label for Battery Disconnect Switch and Battery System of AC UPS for Chemical Plant. I am requesting for help if anyone have ever come across such issue. I see confusing information (to my understanding) between NFPA 70E 130.7(15) (Table 130.7 (C) (15) (b) & 310.5(C).
130.7 (15) and Table referenced here describes how to determine either incident energy for DC system or use table for PPE category while 310.5(C) states that requirement of Arc Flash Risk Assessment shall not apply to electrolytic cells which I consider batteries are.
In addition, NFPA 70E Section 310.5 informational note drives this to safety related work practice from owner.
Can someone help me to clarify what needs to be done or not to be done for Arc Flash label for Battery disconnect switch and Battery Bank of AC UPS ?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Arc Flash labels for UPS Battery and Disconnect Switch
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:26 pm 
Plasma Level

Article 310 which includes 310.5(C) that you reference is for Safety Related Work Practices for Electrolytic Cells.
Electrolytic cells are used for the production of aluminum, cadmium, sodium chlorate, chlorine, copper etc.

Because of the nature of the cell line work zones, the traditional Limited and Restricted approach boundaries do not apply as you point out.

However, Article 320 is for Safety Requirement’s Related to Batteries and Battery Rooms. Unlike Article 310, Article 320 does NOT waive the risk assessments outlined in Article 130. i.e. shock, arc flash and for batteries, other hazards such as chemical need considered.

There are a couple of technical papers referenced for DC arc flash calculations but there is no official IEEE standard for this yet. In addition, Table 130.7(C)(15)(b) is for Arc Flash PPE Categories for dc Systems. Note no. 2 for that table may apply in your case if there is no overcurrent protection. It references the IEEE 1584 2 second cutoff.

So, the short answer is look at Article 320 for batteries and the risk assessment still applies including shock and arc flash.

Additional information about electrical safety and electrolytic cells can be found it: IEEE 463-2006 - IEEE Standard for Electrical Safety Practices in Electrolytic Cell Line Working Zones

Hope this helps!

Post subject: Re: Arc Flash labels for UPS Battery and Disconnect Switch
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:42 am 

Thank You for this Clarification Jim! It will come in handy as we audit for Electrical Safety requirements per NFPA 70E at our large scale Battery Rooms and UPS applications existing at our NASA Centers. Especially those at KSC...