It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:18 pm



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Enforcing OSHA or the NFPA 70E Standard?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:44 pm
Posts: 10
Location: USA
If you are aware of the electrical safety procedures and site conditions, etc., for any employees working for various companies such as KBR on military bases and camps in the Middle East (Iraq, Kuwait, Uzbekistan, Afghanistan and North Africa) please comment.

Are they enforcing any OSHA or the NFPA 70E standard?


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:34 am
Posts: 1
Location: North Carolina
I don't think that they are enforcable in those places are they?


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:44 pm
Posts: 10
Location: USA
On US Government military bases and camps

[SIZE="3"]"on US Government military bases and camps" [/size]


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:59 pm 
Offline
Plasma Level

Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:58 am
Posts: 1103
Location: Charlotte, NC
JoeTedesco wrote:
[SIZE="3"]"on US Government military bases and camps" [/size]


Still no, gov dosent need to follow OSHA or 70E. They follow DOE ESWP's which are similar but not enforceable by anyone, safety standards go out the window in battle, in fact electrical equipment is often designed to overide safety functions if needed.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:44 pm
Posts: 10
Location: USA
Listen to this story!

Nothing less than at least Article 590 in the NEC and some reasonable worker safety gear.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:23 pm
Posts: 9
Location: Battle Ground, WA
Zog wrote:
Still no, gov dosent need to follow OSHA or 70E. They follow DOE ESWP's which are similar but not enforceable by anyone, safety standards go out the window in battle, in fact electrical equipment is often designed to overide safety functions if needed.


You are correct. OSHA does not apply on state or federal location. Although most US companies with Federal contracts (ie, DoD - Military bases & DoS - New Embassy Construction) claim they voluntarily adopt and enforce all OSHA, NEC & UBC codes and standards. This couldn't be farther from the truth. They do unless it costs too much or gets in the way of productivity. Consequently, only the most cursory safety programs (hard hats & safety glasses) are in place normally run by unqualified people. If there is an injury, all safety rules apply and the injured person normally gets fired.

I spent two years in Baghdad and that whole "it's a war zone" excuse for not supplying adequate safety equipment and material was irresponsible at the very least. These were not temporary battlefield encampments. These were established semi-permanent camps. And that is where soldiers were dying from accidental electrocution. Five years down the road and they are still claiming "OSHA doesn't apply here...it's a war zone." Very dangerous attitude.

Ms Sparky
http://mssparky.com/


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:23 pm
Posts: 9
Location: Battle Ground, WA
Typical

JoeTedesco wrote:
[url="http://mssparky.com/2008/07/my-story-on-the-story-aired-today-72908/"]Listen to this story first before you make any further comments![/url]

And this is what they still have there:

http://www.joetedesco.org/P1000013.JPG

http://www.joetedesco.org/P1000014.JPG

Nothing less than at least Article 590 in the NEC and some reasonable worker safety gear.


Awesome pics Joe...I want to borrow them. I am not going to say you saw this everywhere you went. But when it did see it you weren't surprised.

Ms Sparky
http://mssparky.com/


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:23 pm
Posts: 9
Location: Battle Ground, WA
Not Yet

jwelectric wrote:
I don't think that they are enforcable in those places are they?


Not yet. I am working with the Senate and they are working to draft legislation that will afford US workers working overseas on any US government funded project, (ie military base, new US Embassy or US Consulate etc.) the same protections granted to their Stateside co-workers (ie, OSHA, NFPA70 & 70E, labor laws).

Ms Sparky
http://mssparky.com/


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:23 pm
Posts: 9
Location: Battle Ground, WA
That's a big NO!!

JoeTedesco wrote:
If you are aware of the electrical safety procedures and site conditions, etc., for any employees working for various companies such as KBR on military bases and camps in the Middle East (Iraq, Kuwait, Uzbekistan, Afghanistan and North Africa) please comment.

Are they enforcing any OSHA or the NFPA 70E standard?


That is NO!!! And many many people have been threaten to be fired and some have been fired for pushing the issue.

There is no independent oversight in Iraq or Afghanistan. It's a free for all.Only it's not free!!

Ms Sparky
http://mssparky.com/


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:54 am 
Offline
Plasma Level

Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:58 am
Posts: 1103
Location: Charlotte, NC
Ms Sparky wrote:
You are correct. OSHA does not apply on state or federal location. Although most US companies with Federal contracts (ie, DoD - Military bases & DoS - New Embassy Construction) claim they voluntarily adopt and enforce all OSHA, NEC & UBC codes and standards. This couldn't be farther from the truth. They do unless it costs too much or gets in the way of productivity. Consequently, only the most cursory safety programs (hard hats & safety glasses) are in place normally run by unqualified people. If there is an injury, all safety rules apply and the injured person normally gets fired.

I spent two years in Baghdad and that whole "it's a war zone" excuse for not supplying adequate safety equipment and material was irresponsible at the very least. These were not temporary battlefield encampments. These were established semi-permanent camps. And that is wear soldiers were dying from accidental electrocution. Five years down the road and they are still claiming "OSHA doesn't apply here...it's a war zone." Very dangerous attitude.

Ms Sparky
http://mssparky.com/



I spent 9 years in the submarine service and couldnt agree with you more, we took safety seriously but also had procedures in place that would violate our electrical safety procedures for "battlestations". Granted that is different than protecting troop from getting shocked in the shower at a temp base set up in Iraq, those are avoidable and I applaud your efforts. Welcome to the forum.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:23 pm
Posts: 9
Location: Battle Ground, WA
DoD Seriously Spanks KBR For Shoddy Electrical Work In Iraq

The number of people who have come forward to share information about the Soldier Electrocutions, other electrical issues and waste, fraud and abuse has been amazing. Because of that....DoD has done this!!!

DoD has spanked KBR...[url="http://mssparky.com/2008/10/kbr-is-issued-level-iii-corrective-action-request-car/"]Read Here[/url]

Also, we are looking for specific info about circumstances surrounding the electrocution deaths of [url="http://mssparky.com/2008/07/senate-dpc-hearing-iraq-electrocutions-7-11-08-cheryl-harris-testimony/"]SSG Ryan Maseth at Radwaniyah Palace Complex in Baghdad[/url] on January 2, 2008 and [url="http://mssparky.com/2008/07/senate-dpc-hearing-iraq-electrocutions-7-11-08-larraine-mcgee-testimony/"]SSG Christopher Everett at the Motor Pool at Camp Taqqadum (TQ)[/url] on September 7, 2005.

Keep that info coming. :)

Ms Sparky
http://mssparky.com/


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
© 2017 Arcflash Forum / Brainfiller, Inc. | P.O. Box 12024 | Scottsdale, AZ 85267 USA | 800-874-8883