It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:18 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Art 110 - Emergency Release from live parts
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:54 pm 
Arc Level

Art 110 "...Emergency Procedure. Employees exposed to shock hazards shall be trained in methods of release of victims from contact with exposed energized electrical conductors or circuit parts. Employees shall be regularly instructed in methods of first aid and emergency procedures, such as approved methods of resusciatation, if their duties warrant such training. Training of employees in approved methods of resusciation, including cardippulmonary resuscitation shall be certified by the employer annually..."

What exactly is this saying and is it saying it about every Qualified person.

1) Does this mean that when working on live parts you have to have a second person with you at all times ready to pull you from the source?

2) Does it mean that every Qualified person needs First Aid and CPR certification?

3) Do you know of any good training literature that describes proper release and rescue methods. I know of the safety hook. I know to cut the power source. But I haven't seen much in the way of specific training. I would like to if I could find some.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:02 am 
Plasma Level

haze10 wrote:
What exactly is this saying and is it saying it about every Qualified person.

1) Does this mean that when working on live parts you have to have a second person with you at all times ready to pull you from the source?

I dont think so, however there is a 2 man rule in OSHA for >600V

haze10 wrote:
2) Does it mean that every Qualified person needs First Aid and CPR certification?

Not really, again look at the CPR requirements in OSHA 1910, a CPR trained person needs to be "available", OSHA defines this as able to respond within 4 minutes and says if this is not possible then every person on the job nees to be CPR trained. For a large plant, where this is not possible all electricians should be CPR trained.

haze10 wrote:

3) Do you know of any good training literature that describes proper release and rescue methods. I know of the safety hook. I know to cut the power source. But I haven't seen much in the way of specific training. I would like to if I could find some.

"Electrical Emergencies: Proper Response". It's 20 min and covers IMHO the info needed to be compliant with 70E.

http://ecom.coastal.com/ELE009-HBK-E...-training.aspx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:27 am 
Arc Level

Zog, thanks, very useful. I'll get the video.

Stop and think what we are saying an electrician has to become.
Licensed by the State
Code review every 1 or 3 years depending on State.
CPR and First Aid every year
Release trained

This is really starting to pile up. Is this true for fork lift operators, crane operators, carpenters, pipe fitters, etc. Oil field workers have jobs 50 times more dangerous than an electrician, and they don't have this depth of training. Why is the focus so targetted to electricians.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:07 am 
Plasma Level

haze10 wrote:
Zog, thanks, very useful. I'll get the video.

Stop and think what we are saying an electrician has to become.
Licensed by the State
Code review every 1 or 3 years depending on State.
CPR and First Aid every year
Release trained

This is really starting to pile up. Is this true for fork lift operators, crane operators, carpenters, pipe fitters, etc. Oil field workers have jobs 50 times more dangerous than an electrician, and they don't have this depth of training. Why is the focus so targetted to electricians.

The CPR requirement has been in OSHA since 1981, nothing new there. Maybe the oil field workers job is more dangerous (Based on fatalaty rates) BECAUSE they dont have the right depth of safety training.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:26 pm 
Arc Level

Take it you've never worked in the oil patch? Its a different world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:11 am 
Plasma Level

haze10 wrote:
Take it you've never worked in the oil patch? Its a different world.

No I havent, went to an interview right after I got out of the Navy, decided not to go that route. I understand it is a different world but my point was that is why the job is so dangerous.