It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:50 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Need clarification on (Arc Flash Boundary)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:04 pm 

I may have been under the false impression that the boundary only comes into play when you have exposed energized parts or when interacting with equipment that can create an added risk, such as opening or closing breakers, even when the energized parts are enclosed.

I am now being told that regardless of what work is being performed, the boundary stands for anyone who is within its limits; even if the covers are on and the equipment is not being worked on. So that means, if I have a mechanic, that has had training, but is working on a non - electrical piece of equipment, that is still within the Arch Flash Boundary, he must have the required PPE associated with the analysis. Is this the case?

Thank you for any insight you many provide.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:40 pm 
Plasma Level

TedN wrote:
I may have been under the false impression that the boundary only comes into play when you have exposed energized parts or when interacting with equipment that can create an added risk, such as opening or closing breakers, even when the energized parts are enclosed.

This part of your post is correct. Just being in the Arc Flash Boundary when no work, hazard or anything else cited in NFPA 70E is occurring does not require PPE. This is a common question and an example that I often use is a hospital corridor. Typically in hospitals (and many other buildings), panels are located in the corridor / hallway. With the mechanics interpretation, patients could not be wheeled down the hall way unless wearing PPE.

It is great the mechanic is aware of arc flash, PPE and the hazards but unless he/she is in the Arc Flash Boundary AND there are exposed energized conductors/parts or interaction that could possibly result in an arc flash, they does not need arc flash PPE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:32 am 

Thank you.
This will clear some issues up for me