It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:38 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: NFPA announces new Certified Electrical Safety Compliance Professional Program
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:06 pm 
Arc Level

NFPA is pleased to announce the new Certified Electrical Safety Compliance Professional (CESCP) certification program, created to encourage electrical safety within the industry. The program is based on NFPA 70E, Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace, 2012 Edition, which sets requirements for safe work practices to protect personnel by reducing exposure to major electrical hazards. The CESCP certification program consists of a set of eligibility requirements, a 100 question computer-based examination, and a set of recertification requirements that must be completed within a three (3) year time period following initial certification. Program application forms can be found in the...

[url="http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/nfpacodesandstandards/~3/IdBZPBNp4Iw/nfpa-announces-new-certified-electrical-safety-compliance-professional-program.html"]Continue reading...[/url]

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:28 pm 

When I saw this topic, I was hoping for a lot of discussion already happening so I could see what direction the wind was blowing. I am not understanding the goal of this certification. Is this intended for those doing the calculations? Is this intended for those working on equipment? Is this intended for companies offering their services to do electrical hazard programs for clients? I don't see this topic addressed anywhere else on this site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:06 am 

Hello to all in the global arc flash community. I too had hoped for some more discussions on this subject. I have searched the forum to make sure there is not another thread about the NFPA certified electrical safety compliance professional program and at this point this is the only thing I can find. The video that has been distributed on YouTube does explain the program and who they are targeting. See link.

[media=youtube]gkB839HwfR0[/media].

My primary job task for the company I work for is performing short circuit and arc flash analysis. I have 40 years of electrical experience starting with my apprenticeship in 1973. I am not an electrical engineer; I am a journeyman electrician. I work under the direction and supervision of our in house electrical engineer. I myself, like many of the members of this forum have been to multiple NFPA-70E safety training seminars. I have put on over 150 seminars as an instructor to introduce employees and maintenance/management personnel to the hazards of arc flash, how to be compliant and how to work on hazard mitigation with a primary focus on de-energizing whenever possible. As far as I am aware there is no existing NFPA training, that when completed, considers someone “NFPA Certified” to work on energized electrical equipment. We could discuss for hours the definition of “Qualified Person” but that is not the subject of this thread.

Back to the subject, I am not sure what others think of the NFPA certified electrical safety compliance professional program but to be honest here this is what I see when I go to the web site. (My personal opinion only)

• $300.00 USD to take the exam
  • [font=Times New Roman][color=#000000][font=Tahoma][color=#141414]$150.00 USD to recertify every (3) years[/color][/font][/color][/font]

Is this just another money making machine that is being creative with the word “Certified” in the title?

By no means do I intend to insult or frustrate anyone here with my views. I am very interested in what other people’s opinions are in regard to this subject. There are many existing NFPA-70E training courses available that are very good but avoid using the catch phrase “Certified”. I believe it is very necessary for anyone working on or near energized equipment to receive the proper training but this program seems to me that you are merely demonstrating you already understand the NFPA-70E and are just taking an exam to be certified. So let’s not confuse this. The program is a “certification” program, not a “training” course.

Best regards,

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:43 am 
Sparks Level

This is a bit disturbing. Here are a few things to consider.

1) Will this lead to the perception that you need to have the "NFPA seal of approval" on your resume or you just don't know what you are doing? I know that is not what is said, but it appears to be very much implied.

For example:
Joe X has NFPA Certification as part of his credentials and John Z doesn't. That implies Joe X is better based on the perceived new "latest and greatest must have" label that was newly created. I am sure NFPA will ramp up the buzz and PR that to further your career, be better, smarter, more marketable, etc. etc. you need the "NFPA Certification"

2) So, lets say Joe X is NFPA certified. What if Joe X or someone who received services from Joe X is injured or killed. Will the organization that "certified" Joe X also be liable?

3) In most states, engineering services such as arc flash studies, are required to be performed by, or under the direction of a Registered Professional Engineer. Will people begin stating "I am NFPA certified" so I don't need to comply with state engineering laws. I have seen this attempted with other certifications.

4) I have heard many rumors that sometimes NFPA 70E seminars are cancelled or have a really low turn out. Yet there are many other trainers - several at this forum that do a great job and have large turn outs. Is this a way to take a shot them?

Seems like the 800 pound guerrilla is trying to flex its muscle again. Just a few thoughts - feel free to pile on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:55 am 

Interesting perspective!