It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:24 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: 70E-2021 PDF Version available?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:37 am 

Does anyone know when the pdf version of 70E 2021 will be available for purchase and download? Thanks!

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: 70E-2021 PDF Version available?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:17 am 
Plasma Level

BGnan wrote:
Does anyone know when the pdf version of 70E 2021 will be available for purchase and download? Thanks!

I understand from NFPA, they discontinued PDFs and only have the online viewer. I imagine it was a copyright "PDF going viral" issue.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:53 pm 
Sparks Level

I contacted Derek Vigostol with NFPA. We can all contact him and ask, but I think NFPA management made a bigger decision here to control copying and ensure revenue generation. Not good as do not have internet connection all of the time.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:20 pm 

Terry Becker wrote:
I contacted Derek Vigostol with NFPA. We can all contact him and ask, but I think NFPA management made a bigger decision here to control copying and ensure revenue generation. Not good as do not have internet connection all of the time.

NFPA is very aware. Like it or not, they've been sending communications to their membership for years making the case that NFPA codes are not free and fees go directly to improvement safety. Here one recent example: https://www.nfpa.org/News-and-Research/Publications-and-media/Sign-up-for-NFPA-Network/Newsletter-main/NFPA-Network-August-2020

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:21 am 

Personally, I think this decision is a poor one by the NFPA.

The online viewer (available via the "FREE ACCESS" button on this page) is no substitute for the PDF format. I cannot see a way to search the document, nor does it appear that I can increase the font size in a sensible manner (other than using the web browser to do so, which causes the bottom of the online viewer to disappear off-screen). Although, admittedly it is useful to be able to view any NFPA 70E edition, past or present, using this online viewer.

To completely remove the option of a downloadable electronic version seems like a backward step. In this day and age, surely there are fairly unobtrusive, user-friendly and cost-effective copy protection options available?

I have had to order a hard-copy which has an environmental (as well as financial) cost for international shipping to the UK. I either have to specifically attend my office to obtain the document (I have been exclusively remote working at home since March) - creating an unnecessary journey during this COVID-19 pandemic and potentially putting my colleagues at risk, or a further delivery cost has to be incurred to have the document sent to my home. Plus, I've completely lost the search facility I once had with the electronic version.

[rant over!]