It is currently Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:21 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Clarification sought re IEEE Std 1584.1-2022
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:32 am 

Section 10 of IEEE Std 1584.1-2022, entitled "Arc-flash hazard calculation study report", includes the following statement on page 18...
Quote:
...Consideration may be given to organizing the protective devices listed in the output, along with their settings and ratings, based on the enclosure type. This will aid the owner in implementing the results of the study.

I'm trying to better understand why organizing protective devices by enclosure type would aid the owner. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Clarification sought re IEEE Std 1584.1-2022
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:24 am 
Plasma Level

w5m wrote:
Section 10 of IEEE Std 1584.1-2022, entitled "Arc-flash hazard calculation study report", includes the following statement on page 18...
Quote:
...Consideration may be given to organizing the protective devices listed in the output, along with their settings and ratings, based on the enclosure type. This will aid the owner in implementing the results of the study.

I'm trying to better understand why organizing protective devices by enclosure type would aid the owner. Can anyone shed any light on this?

One of the earlier drafts included examples i.e. panelboards, switchboard etc.- it might have been better to state equipment type instead of enclosure type but that was changed along the way. I believe this language was to organize multiple devices by what equipment they are located in. There was a fine line between sticking with arc flash specific info in this standard and expanding into coordination and short circuit info which we were trying to avoid.

Quote:
with their settings and ratings, based on the enclosure type (panelboard, switchboard, MCC, switchgear, etc.).

Post subject: Re: Clarification sought re IEEE Std 1584.1-2022
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:58 am 

Many thanks for the clarification Jim.