It is currently Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:39 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Medium or high voltage training in U.S.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:48 pm 
Plasma Level

Recently a Fortune 500 company called asking if service technicians were "certified" to work on 4160 V equipment. This isn't in the context of say the New Brunswick province where they actaully require such things at the unusual voltage of 750 V but rather this is in the U.S. in the Southeast. It smells like some training company is managing to hock something.

Has anyone heard of this? Does it even make any sense?

Granted there are 3 different major OSHA electrical work sections (30 CFR 1910.269, 30 CFR 1926, and 30 CFR 1910.3xx aka Subchapter S). There are a handful of major differences and the terminology is very different accounting for the origins in NFPA vs. IEEE committees, but that's largely the differences.

Technically there are definitely differences that are voltage dependent such as the requirement for shielded cable and cabinetry that is designed to limit access as you get into the 5 kV range so there is definitely some merit to the idea of training based on voltage but most of the training programs out there either don't address these kinds of issues or do it with a pretty broad brushed approach. Somehow I don't see training involving this level of detail being part of the requirement.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Medium or high voltage training in U.S.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:21 am 
Plasma Level

I have not heard of "certified" to work on 4160V outside of companies that have their own certification/training programs that need to be passed to work on MV equipment. Then there is the OSHA work observance yearly to determine if they are still competent.

My company does do MV specific training as well as NFPA 70E specific training. After successfully passing a written test as well as a hands on skills test they receive a certificate saying they successfully completed the training. We discuss the specific equipment the client has and emphasize to the client that yearly observations are required.

Post subject: Re: Medium or high voltage training in U.S.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:27 am 
Sparks Level

OSHA requires employees to be qualified by the employer on a task-by-task basis. My company routinely works from LV up to 38 kV, so our employers trains all of us regularly on work practices applicable to those voltage levels. So if I were asked this question in the context of my organization, I would answer yes and my EHS folks could provide class attendance lists, tests, curriculum materials, etc. if that level of diligence was required.