It is currently Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:56 am

Do you feel the date should be included on the arc flash label?
Yes
No
You may select 1 option

View results
 Post subject: Include Date on Arc Flash Label?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:10 pm 
Plasma Level

According to the 2015 Edition of NFPA 70E 130.5(2), The arc flash risk assessment “…shall be reviewed periodically, at intervals not to exceed 5 years, to account for changes in the electrical distribution system that could affect the results of the arc flash risk assessment.”

According to 130.5(D) Equipment Labeling, the date is not listed as a requirement for including on the label. However, many believe the date is an important aspect of the label in order to keep track of the “5 years” time limit.

Here is this week’s question:

Do you feel the date should be included on the arc flash label?
Yes
No

Report this post
 Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Include Date on Arc Flash Label?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:28 pm 
Plasma Level

There are many reasons why the study is far more than just a label. The study files are necessary any time that the electrical distribution system is modified, irrespective of the 5 year interval. And any equipment that only rarely gets used...needs an incident energy estimate done on the spot. And then there's the issue of certain operating conditions where the incident energy may be different enough but again not frequent enough to warrant a label in which case the study has to be consulted to update for the particular conditions.

So it really doesn't matter what the label date is. The study is the "master" document. Everything else is just a copy or a subset of the information. Updating the master triggers updating the labels, not the other way around. Also because to do a thorough job energy storage (inductive and capacitive loads) necessitate a "global" study point of view...it is difficult to impossible to update only portions of the study without consideration for the entire system. This means that unless you have physically isolated sites, it wouldn't be practical for instance to update one part of the operation without consideration for other sections, so having deadlines in one area different from another is kind of silly.

And that's assuming that the values actually change which is the flip side of this. The requirement is to check everything every 5 years. This does NOT mean totally redoing an entire study every 5 years. This means reviewing and updating as needed. Modifications should trigger updates to small sections of the study (assuming they don't trigger upstream changes significant enough to matter). The overall study should be REVIEWED for changes but shouldn't change everything and if no changes are warranted, not running around changing the labels which may include hundreds if not thousands of labels for some plants.

So putting an "expiration date" on the label is just not the correct way to do things. Keeping track of when a label becomes outdated should really be a function of maintaining the integrity of the power system studies, not a matter of when the last time the label was printed.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:56 am 

Paul makes some very good points about the study but we still put the date on the labels as a frame of reference. I believe that I heard the Canadian version of NFPA 70E - CSA Z462 requires the date on the label. It would be interesting if one of the Canadian forum members could confirm this.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:24 am 

We have started a system of dating our labels. We also list our easy power file by date(quarters) if a label has a date, it belongs to the previous quarters file and this would include all systems or upstream devices.
If we have a major change(not likely at this point) we could then go back and re-study the individual pieces of equipment with little effort, using the files as dated.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:06 am 

Hi All

Greetings from North of the Border. Absolutely correct regarding the date on the label according to CSA Z462-15. I have included the clause 4.3.5.5 below. Please see sub clause D which discusses the date requirement. This is the only additional information that CSA Z462 requires from NFPA 70E

4.3.5.5 Equipment labelling
Electrical equipment such as switchboards, panelboards, industrial control panels, meter socket enclosures and motor control centres (MCCs) that are in other than dwelling units and that are likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing or maintenance while energized shall be field marked with a label containing all the following information:
(a) nominal system voltage; (b) arc flash boundary; and
(c) at least one of the following:
(i) available incident energy and the corresponding working distance or the arc flash PPE category in Table 4B or Table 4C for the equipment, but not both;
(ii) minimum arc rating of PPE; or
(iii) site specific level of PPE;
(d) date the information required by this Clause was determined
The method of calculating and data to support the information for the label shall be documented. When the review of the arc flash hazard risk assessment identifies a change that renders the label inaccurate, the label shall be updated.
The owner of the electrical equipment shall be responsible for the documentation, installation, and
maintenance of the field-marked label.
Labels applied prior to the effective date of this edition of this Standard are acceptable if they contain
the available incident energy or required level of PPE.
Note: See Annex Q.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:30 am 
Sparks Level

I include the date and track the dates of the studies of all our 100 buildings in a spreadsheet. Once you have the model built it is easy to make changes and re-print the labels if need be.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:07 am 

I agree that the report is the master file that controls the generation of the labels and everything else BUT, from a practical point of view I feel it is good to include the date on the labels because they are seen more often by many people that may not see the study.

I have worked with a client that has several locations and plants that have the actual studies in the HSA office at each site but the non HSA people rarely ever look at those files.
A dated label would enable one of the regional managers during a walk thru to more quickly notice that an update my be due and inquire of the site HSA who may be unaware of the needed update.

Report this post
 Post subject: Include Date on Arc Flash Label?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:04 am 
Sparks Level

I recently did an arc flash study for a client with over 400 individual sites. Many of the managers of these sites barely know about arc flash. Keeping the report is not a top priority in all cases, let alone making sure it is reviewed at some future time. The labels are the only indication of the last time a study was performed to plant electricians. We have found this, generally, the case. Many times some manager has the report stuffed in some cabinet whereas the people in the field look at the labels every day.

This where I would disagree with Paul. Having the report and the study files only facilitate making changes easier and cheaper. I believe the labels are what the field people look at, not the report. Any time the system has a significant change (what ever that really is) the entire data collection, study, report, and labels should be revisited. I have seen many reports that do not provide the input data and the study files are not complete or have become corrupted. Redoing portions of a study does not apply to all situations.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:02 am 
Sparks Level

We also put the date on our labels. There are many changes in personnel with different knowledge and skills. Many maintenance personnel performing the work on the equipment do not have access to the actual arc flash study.

Having the date on the front of the label helps the electricians and supervisors keep track of when their arc flash study was completed (or updated).

Report this post