Today is the first day of Autumn! The weather is cooling off. The leaves are changing colors. Football season is in full swing. It’s the perfect time of year to drink hot apple cider and sit by the bonfire. Or maybe drink a pumpkin spiced latte at an actual pumpkin patch. In my opinion, this is the BEST time of year!
Fall is also the perfect time of year to explore new places. Here are some beautiful places around the world to see vibrant fall colors:
- Kyoto, Japan: Although it’s more commonly known for cherry blossoms, this area also has countless places to see the fall foliage. Make sure to visit the Eikando Temple to see the most beautiful fall colors.
- Queen’s View, Loch Tummel, Scotland: Located near the town of Pitlochry, this viewpoint was made famous by Queen Victoria in the 1800’s when she used to picnic there.
- Manchester, Vermont: Vermont is very picturesque in the fall, making it one of the most popular tourist destinations this time of year. They have everything you’re looking for: apple orchards, pumpkin patches, beautiful fall foliage, and a multitude of events.
- Bavaria, Germany: Bavaria might not be on everyone’s radar, but they have some of the most beautiful colors of the season. Not only do they have the best autumn weather, but they also have several autumn festivals between August 23rd-November 11th. Many fairs, parades, and markets trace their origin back to “Kirchweih” celebrations. These celebrations were held on the third Sunday in October by each parish.
- Million Dollar Highway (US 550), Colorado: For this destination, you don’t even have to get out of your car. This beautiful 305 mile long highway is lined with Aspen trees that glow red, orange, and yellow.
- Forest of Dean, England: Also famous for being in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1, this forest is great for leaf peeping. Some of the favorite fall foliage spots are the Cyril Hart Arboretum and the ancient hill fort at Symonds Yat Rock.
- Napa Valley, California: The weather in Napa is always mild and perfect. The best time to see fall foliage is mid-October until early November. This is the best place to enjoy a glass of wine at a local vineyard while staring at the colorful leaves.
- Confederation Trail, Prince Edward Island, Canada: This area has one of the longest fall foliage seasons in eastern Canada. The gorgeous sugar maples, cherry, and birch trees can be seen from mid-September through the end of October.
- Foreste Casentinesi National Park, Italy: Located in Eastern Tuscany, this is one of the largest forests in Europe. This park is perfect for the active hiker who wants to see the beautiful fall colors and then sit down to enjoy a local glass of Italian wine.
- White Mountains, New Hampshire: Like Vermont, New Hampshire is also a popular tourist destination this time of year. The White Mountains have some of the most vibrant fall colors in New England. Because this area is so famous, there are multiple fall festivals throughout the season. There is also an audio driving tour to talk you through your scenic drive, which can be found here:
I hope that you all have a safe and wonderful fall season!