Today is National Chili Day! This hearty people-pleaser makes everyone feel warm and cozy during the cold Winter months. With so many variations and recipes, it’s no wonder that it’s one of the most popular dishes for cooking competitions. But where did this amazing meal come from? It is believed that it was introduced in San Antonio by people who immigrated from the Canary Islands in the 1700’s. However, the name was first written by J.C. Clopper in 1828. In 1977, Texas declared chili as its official dish.
How does one celebrate this holiday? By eating chili, of course! You can make it, you can order in, or you can go to a restaurant. You can also go on a chili tour and eat all of the best chilis from the different restaurants in your area. If you decide to make it yourself, here are some of the best chili recipes that I have found so far:
- Chili with Chorizo and Chocolate – Chocolate in chili?? Yes! Believe it or not chocolate is a great “secret” ingredient to add to your chili. You can find this amazing recipe right here: Chili with Chorizo and Chocolate Recipe | Allrecipes
- Butternut Squash Black Bean Chili – This is one of my personal faves! For this delicious, meatless chili, you can find this recipe here: Best Vegan Chili Recipe – Love and Lemons
- BBQ Crockpot Chicken Chili – Perhaps you’re interested in something that’s a little more tangy and smoky? Check out this recipe here: BBQ Crockpot Chicken Chili – The Endless Meal®
- Game Day Beer Chili – Looking for something a little boozy? You’ve come to the right place! I recommend using either a stout or a porter for this one. Here is this awesome recipe: Game Day Beer Chili. – How Sweet Eats
- Ultimate Vegan Chili – I have made something similar to this for years! Even my meat loving friends can’t tell the difference. I recommend using Gardein Plant-Based Ground Be’f crumbles for this one: Ultimate Vegan Chili – Nora Cooks
- Green Pork Chili – Do you prefer green chili? This recipe is great! Not a fan of pork? It also tastes great with chicken. You can find the recipe here: Green Pork Chili – A Beautiful Plate
- Skillet Chili Cornbread Pot Pie – For a less traditional version of this dish, try making it in a skillet with cornbread. This recipe can be found here: Skillet Chili Cornbread Pot Pie | 12 Tomatoes
Enjoy your cozy, chili day!