It’s National Hot Dog Day! In 1871, a German baker named Charles Felton opened the first hot dog stand on Coney Island. Originally called dachshund sausages (named after the dog), he sold 3,684 in his first year. Thanks to this culinary innovation, the hot dog has become an American staple in food culture. Not only are there many toppings to choose from, but there are also many different types of hot dogs. Beef, pork, chicken, turkey, and even vegan options have gained in popularity. Here are some of our favorite hot dog recipes that we would like to share with you!
- Quesadogas – Get your tex-mex fix with this perfect combination of a hot dog and a quesadilla.
- Campfire Pigs in a Blanket – Are you going on a camping trip? Or maybe you’re just hanging out around the fire pit in your backyard? This is the perfect campfire meal for this summer!
- Homemade Gourmet Vegan Hot Dogs – Looking for something plant-based? This yummy recipe also includes a recipe for cashew-almond cheese sauce. Short on time? Most grocery stores have fantastic veggie dogs that you don’t need to make from scratch. Toppings not included.
- Hot Dog Bar – Is your family picky? Do they each like different things? Set up a hot dog bar and let them create their own hot dog creations!
- Garlic Bread Hot Dog – Want something that’s a little more Italian? Try out a hot dog stuffed in garlic bread!
- Mac and Cheese Dog Casserole – If you’re not in the mood to eat a hot dog in a bun, you can try putting it into a casserole! I mean, who doesn’t love mac and cheese?
- Pizza Hot Dogs – Here’s a recipe that combines two of the best foods on the planet!
- Bánh Mì Hot Dogs – For an amazing Vietnamese flare on a traditional meal, try out the Banh Mi Hot Dog!
Enjoy your hot dogs!