Happy New Year!
Welcome to 2021! The year of unlimited possibilities! Although we are still very much in the middle of a pandemic, it’s still fun to think about all of the things that we can do when this is over. If you’re a planner like me who has spent entirely too much time within the same walls of their home, you might be thinking about the first vacation that you’re going to take when it’s safe to do so. Will you be flying to another country? Driving cross-country? Camping in an RV or maybe a tent? Will you be staying in a luxury resort? All of the above? Personally, I have an extensive bucket list of places that I would love to visit. Although planning for a future vacation is fun, please remember to stay safe. And maybe get that travel insurance in case this pandemic doesn’t end as soon as we’re all hoping.
In honor of National Plan for Vacation Day, here are some fun ideas for your first post-pandemic vacation:
- Take a cross-country road trip! You can see more cities and national parks on a road trip than you can if you fly. One day you might be hiking in Yellowstone National Park and the next day you could be at the famous Pike Place Fish Market in Seattle. Take the roads less traveled and see everything that your country has to offer.
- Hawaii – Each island offers its own unique tourist attractions. You can do everything from snorkeling, to hiking a volcano, to touring plantations, to laying on the beach and working on your tan. There is something for everyone in Hawaii!
- La Fortuna, Costa Rica – This small town in Costa Rica is in the heart of the rainforest. Monkeys and sloths can be found everywhere. You can go zip-lining above the rainforest, white water rafting, go on an ATV tour around Arenal volcano, relax in natural hot springs, or (my personal favorite) canyoning and waterfall rappelling. The locals are kind to the tourists and the food is amazing. I highly recommend this experience for anyone with an adventurous spirit. Pura Vida!
- Backpack through Europe! Wake up under the Northern Lights of Iceland one day and then eat tapas in Spain the next day. Enjoy a tour of a vineyard and the historical sites of Italy. And don’t forget to check out the Eiffel Tower in Paris. Looking for something a little less touristy? Click HERE to check out 18 charming small towns that are off the beaten path.
- Springtime in Japan – Japan has so many things to offer, but one of the prettiest sites is when the cherry blossoms are in full bloom. The most famous place to see them is in Yoshimo, Japan and the best time of year to visit is in March.
- Galapagos Islands – Are you a fan of animals? The Galapagos Islands are filled with creatures for you to see. You can see tortoises, iguanas, and even penguins! The most popular island to check out is San Cristobal Island.
- New Zealand – New Zealand has everything from large cities to beaches and mountains. You can spend time in their amazing capital city of Auckland and then head down south to see the Waitomo Gloworm Caves. Are you a Lord of the Rings fan? Check out the actual hobbit homes used in the films in Hobbiton!
- Santorini, Greece – Check out the real Atlantis, hike to the top of Santorini Volcano, visit the quaint village of Pyrgos, and end your day drinking wine and eating the best Greek food you’ve ever tasted.
- Close your eyes and pick a random place on a map. Sometimes the most random places become the best destinations.
Happy planning and safe travels!