The Second Edition of IEEE 1584 – IEEE Guide for Arc Flash Hazard Calculations Studies was 16 years in the making. In this 1-hour video, Jim Phillips takes you through the long history of what it took to develop the next edition including establishing a collaboration between IEEE and NFPA, creating a project team for the almost 2000 new arc flash tests, model and equation development and more.Watch the video and listen to Jim discuss the major changes, why they were made and what the mean. The changes include equations for five different electrode configurations, more choices for enclosure sizes, an enclosure correction factor calculation to adjust for specific enclosure sizes, and the grounded vs. unground difference has been eliminated. An arcing current variation factor calculation is now used to determine the lower end of arcing short circuit current instead of using 85% as in the past.
Each calculation is performed in 2 steps which includes an initial calculation based on one of three voltage options and a second calculation interpolating to the specific system voltage. The 125 kVA transformer exception was eliminated. Learn why and what has replaced it. What about the 2 second rule? Jim discusses all this and much more.
Jim will be teaching his 2018 IEEE 1584 arc flash studies class beginning December of 2018 with many cities and dates in 2019.
For almost 40 years, Jim has been helping tens of thousands of people around the world understand electrical power system design, analysis and safety. When it comes to arc flash and electrical safety, he is in the unique position of being in the leadership role of the major U.S. and International Standards including:
- Vice Chair of IEEE 1584 – IEEE Guide for Performing Arc Flash Hazard Calculations
- International Chairman – International Electrotechnical Commission IEC TC78 – Live Working
- Steering Committee – IEEE/NFPA Arc Flash Collaborative Research Project.
- Author of the book: Complete Guide to Arc Flash Hazard Calculation Studies
- Contributing Editor for Multi Award Winning – Electrical Contractor Magazine
- Founder of the internationally known website: ArcFlashForum.com
Watch the video, learn about the changes and see for yourself, what Jim has to offer.